• Brush or comb hair thoroughly to loosen dirt and dead skin cells from the head. Wet the hair well so that the underneath layers as well as the top are well saturated with water.
• Pour about 1 tsp of shampoo in a little water to get a diluted solution and massage this diluted shampoo gently into the roots with your fingertips, covering the whole of the head.
• With the flat surface of your hand work that shampoo into the bulk of the hair over the top layers.
• Rinse thoroughly with water until the shampoo has been completely washed off.
• Repeat the same procedure if necessary.
• Shampoo the hair as directed above as many times as desired and wash thoroughly.
• Pour approx. 2-2 1/2 tsps of conditioner in your hair all over.
• Leave on far about 5 minutes and rinse off thoroughly until the conditioner has been completely washed off.
Note that wet hair loses upto 20 percent of its elasticity and with it, much of its natural resilience. So treat it as gently as you possibly can after washing :
• Squeeze out excess water, wrap hair loosely in a clean towel, turban-fashion and press firmly against the head. Do not rub vigorously.
• Once the hair is no longer soaking wet, the best thing you can do is to leave it to dry naturally.
• When using a blow dryer, capitalize on the control, minimize on the damage : (a) do not start drying until the hair is three quarters dry ; (b) do not hold the dryer over one area of the head for too long ; (c) do not allow the scalp to become hot; (d) use a brush gently to persuade the hair into the style you want; and (e) do not continue to blow dry on to hair that is already dry.
4. Brushing and combing
Always brush hair when it is dry because brushing wet hair cause the ends to split.
• Tilt your head forward while brushing as this increases the blood supply to the head and stimulates the hair.
• Never use a sharp teethed brush or it may tear the hair apart.
• Fine hair needs a softer brush while thick long hair needs a bigger brush with stiff bristles.
• For combing wet hair, use a comb in which the teeth are widely spaced.
• The best way to comb out tangles hair (knots) is to start at the ends and work upwards gradually.